Sunday, July 3, 2011

A good parenting tip

I read this quote tonight, and it really spoke to me: "All severity that does not tend to increase good, or prevent evil, is idle."  Samuel Johnson

It just really gets to the heart of why parents discipline and correct their children...or at least why they should be: to increase good and/or decrease evil.  Everything else is a waste of effort.  I hope I use this as a rule of thumb in my own parenting.  I often think that kids are scolded to death, and a lot of what they're doing isn't really wrong...it's just annoying, or isn't what an adult would do, etc.  I'm talking about things like skipping instead of walking through the mall, wanting to wear clothes that don't match somewhere non-important, talking in a funny voice, etc.  I'm certainly not saying parents shouldn't have standards for their children, not at all!  I just need as many "don't sweat the small stuff" reminders as I can get in life, parenting included.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! The phrase, "Choose your battles wisely" comes to mind. Do we want our children to remember us constantly nagging them to act more mature, or giving them freedom to just "be kids"?

    ReplyDelete