Monday, November 15, 2010

Weekend catch-up!

Well, I didn't get a chance to blog at all over the weekend...we were very busy!  2 going away parties, grocery shopping, house cleaning...oh yeah, and this small little guy who demands food and attention one to two hours out of every three... ;-)  However, I did remember my commitment, and took time each day to consider what I am thankful for- here's what you missed!

Friday: Clay and I had a yummy home-cooked dinner--I made pot roast with gravy, roasted carrots and potatoes, and biscuits--and just spent the evening hanging out and catching up.  And we were in bed by like 10 o clock!  On a FRIDAY!  Oh yeah, we're wild.  I don't know what it was- maybe I was just really hungry, ha ha- but as we were eating, I thought, "This is definitely what I am thankful for today!"  In all seriousness, though, sometimes a nice night-in with your sweetheart is balm for a weary soul!  I am so thankful that I have a man who is just as happy to spend time with me when I have on no makeup, am already in pajamas when he comes home from work, and our big plans consist of eating pot roast on TV trays while reruns play in the background.  Clay can make even that hum-drum scenario fun...we laughed our heads off (...until 10 o clock, when we promptly passed out!)

Saturday: This one is short- the weather was absolutely BEAUTIFUL this weekend!  I have been loving the fact that even though it's November, most days are in the high 60s!  This Florida girl is SO thankful for the mild weather, and I'm hoping it continues to stick around! 

Sunday: Last night our church had a going away party for The Wakefields, our preacher's family.  They are moving to Dothan, Alabama so that Greg can pursue a career he's always dreamed of having.  As you can imagine, it was a very bittersweet evening.  Everyone is happy they've been given this opportunity, but, of course, are simultaneously sad to see them leave.  Although Clay and I don't know them as well as many of the members at Westwood- we've only been there for a little over a year now- I have still been impressed by what awesome people Greg and Sandi are.  They were both very warm and welcoming when Clay and I came to visit our first Sunday.  We had been in Albany for a few years, and still hadn't found a congregation that fit.  I still missed my home congregation terribly, and was just desperate to find a place that felt like home.  Westwood was the first congregation that gave us hope!  I'll never forget Clay saying, as we left the parking lot that first morning, "Everyone seems genuinely happy and excited to be there."  And it's true- every Sunday morning you can tell that people are there because they want to be there; I think the Wakefields have a lot to do with creating that culture.  Greg and Sandi both obviously really care about people, and Greg is so clearly filled with passion for God's word, it reflects in his messages.  And their kids, Mason and Katie Beth, are terrific too!  I really enjoyed having Mason in class when I taught the "tweens'" Sunday school class, and Katie Beth is just the sweetest, prettiest little girl you could ever hope to meet.  As I looked around last night, I was blown away by the amount of love there- it has got to be an incredible feeling to know that you have touched so many lives...to have inspired so many that you can pack a room full with well-wishers, people of different ages, from different walks of life, all there to say goodbye and thank you.  I know that Westwood won't be the same without the Wakefields, and I'm thankful I had the opportunity to get to know them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment